Thinking about getting some new outdoor lighting? Don’t know what kind of outdoor lights to buy? There are thousands of them, after all, and sometimes it’s hard to know what you like. Not to worry, we’re here to help.
Here are 5 outdoor lighting styles and 5 examples of each one:
Traditional outdoor lights
Traditional outdoor lights often feature a lantern style look that recalls the bygone days of flame-powered illumination. Ornate, flourishing details can often be found adorning traditional style outdoor lights, too. Bronze is by far the most common finish for these lights.
- Savoy House Ellijay outdoor wall lantern in black
- Craftmade Frances outdoor wall light in oiled bronze
- Quoizel Devon outdoor lantern in imperial bronze
- Hinkley Chapel Hill outdoor light in museum black
- Kichler Courtyard post lantern in textured black
Contemporary outdoor lights
Contemporary outdoor lights often have a more streamlined and minimal look than their traditional counterparts. Sometimes a contemporary style outdoor light is little more than a shade and a backplate. But sometimes, these lights take on eye-catching and inventive forms that make them works of functional art!
- Modern Forms Midnight outdoor wall sconce in black
- Trade Winds Campana outdoor wall light in oil rubbed bronze with brass accents
- Maxim Lighting Lightray outdoor wall lantern in black
- Quoizel Townes outdoor wall lantern in black
- Kuzco Kona exterior pendant in black
Craftsman outdoor lights
Craftsman style outdoor lights flaunt geometric structures, simple lines and natural inspirations drawn from the iconic look of Frank Lloyd Wright. The versatile look of Craftsman outdoor lights makes it an ideal fit for traditional, contemporary and Spanish-style homes alike!
- Kichler Beacon Square outdoor wall sconce in olde bronze
- Hinkley Manhattan outdoor pier mount in oil rubbed bronze
- Z-Lite Brookside outdoor hanging light in black
- The Great Outdoors Highland Ridge outdoor wall light in oil rubbed bronze
- Maxim Lighting Coldwater outdoor wall light in black
Coastal outdoor lights
It doesn’t matter if you live right by the sea or if you’re landlocked–coastal outdoor lights look great everywhere! Nautically-inspired coastal designs often feature cage style detailing, lantern structures and textured glass shades.
- The Great Outdoors Signal Park outdoor wall light in galvanized
- Kichler Mill Lane outdoor post mount in anvil iron
- Hinkley Cape Cod outdoor wall lantern in burnished bronze
- Savoy House Kingsley outdoor wall lantern in matte black with warm brass
- Maxim Lighting Portsmouth outdoor ceiling light in oil rubbed bronze
Transitional outdoor lights
Transitional outdoor lights have a look that is midway between traditional and contemporary. It’s not as ornate, but not as minimal, so it’s perfect for brightening up many different home styles. Bronze is certainly a common finish for transitional style outdoor lights too, though not the only option.
- Millennium Lighting outdoor wall lantern in powder coat black
- Maxim Lighting Manchester outdoor wall sconce in black
- Hinkley Sullivan outdoor light in black
- Kichler Harbor Bay outdoor wall sconce in black
- The Great Outdoors Casway outdoor hanging light in oil rubbed bronze with gold highlights
Can’t decide? Read the Outdoor Lights Buying Guide.
Need help with sizing? Read our Outdoor Lighting Size Guide.
Ready to shop? Visit our outdoor lighting section.
Do you need lighting advice or help? Get in touch on social media, livechat with us on our website or call us at 1-866-688-3562.